Friday, March 11, 2011

communicating briefly

i grew up in the era of correspondence.
and letter writing.
i used to look forward to the weekends, to catch up on the 'snail mails' from pen friends and radio stations, to write back to them.
the challenge was to write something different and personal for each letter.
even if it was the same, one had to write it all over again.

then came email. the ability to send the same content to many, by just adding them to the To, CC or worse, BCC  lists!

i was amused when i saw a Microsoft Word template called letter to mom. one could not miss the humor, that was part of the letter - that complained of how everything is being automated and simplified, but nothing could replace the joy of writing a letter to mom!

then came the world of blogs. one could just go on and on on whatever one wanted to fill cyberspace with.
a recent research that i read mentioned that most blogs have just one reader [i hope it is other than the person who wrote it!]

in the post facebook and twitter era, blogs seem to have lost their attraction for the Gen Y. but the facebook generation is freer with comments and discussions.

when i connected this blog to my facebook account, i find that more comments are on facebook, though, when i meet in person, more people talk to me about some of the posts.

can we not have a universal blog that could be read and commented on from various applications?

2 comments:

Jyotsna said...

the fact that there are no comments on this post proves it.

Shashi said...

Letter writing has always been and will remain one of my favourites. In my childhood days, my mother used to receive letters from her brothers and sisters. Considering that she had 5 brothers and 2 sisters, you can safely presume that we used to receive at least 1 letter per week. Once the "telephone days" started, the frequency dropped, but we would still get about 3-4 letter every month.

As I grew older, in my school days, I played my mom's "steno" as she would dictate letters to me when she couldn't get time to write them herself.

Eventually, in my engineering days, the habit dropped to such an extent that I would write write to only a select few people. In fact, during the entire course, I would have written not more than 7-8 letters.

When it comes to thinking about what to write, how to make it very concise so that it would fit into the three page inland letter, there's nothing compared to this !!